Webmail (sometimes WebMail or Web Mail) is ITG's nickname for our copy of Sun Java System Communications Express. It is a web-based email client that you can use from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an Internet connection and compatible web browser. To log in to webmail, go to the ITG Home Page.
- It is accessible from any computer with an Internet connection and compatible web browser.
- You can use it to share folders.
- You can maintain an address book with it.
- You can use it to access the GGSE directory.
- It supports a custom signature.
- It allows you to set vacation messages.
- It doesn't offer any client-side SPAM protection.
- It doesn't allow you to store mail on your computer locally, so it has limitations in quota management.
- It doesn't allow you to create HTML email, so you can only send plain text email.
- If you fail to authenticate 5 times in a 30 minute period, your account will be locked.
- The lock lasts 30 minutes
- If you attempt to log in--even correctly--during the lockout, the timer is reset to 30 minutes
- If you wait 30 minutes, the lockout will expire and you will be able to log in.
- If your need is urgent, you can contact the Help Desk.
Emptying the Trash folder
Follow these instructions to empty your trash in Webmail.
- Click Folders along the top.
- Click Empty Trash next to your Trash folder.
Set up a signature
Follow these directions to afix a signature to every outgoing email that you send.
- Click Options at the top.
- Click Personal Information on the left.
- Check the box under Signature next to 'Include this text....
- Enter a signature into the box.
- Click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page.
Set a vacation message
- Click Options at the top.
- Click Vacation Message on the left.
- Check the Enable automatic vacation reply box.
- Set the start and stop dates to the beginning and end of your vacation.
- Number of days between replies means that, if it's set to 7, the recipient won't get more than 1 automatic reply from you in a 7 day period.
- Set the subject.
- Set the internal senders message. This is the message that other
@education.ucsb.eduemail addresses will receive.
- Set the external senders message. This is the message that everybody else will receive.
- Click Save Changes.
|Remember to ensure that your vacation message is disabled when you return.|
Find the address book
The address book in Webmail may be accessed by logging in to Webmail and clicking Addresses along the top.
Keep a message that has been marked for deletion
If you have a message which has been marked for deletion by an IMAP client such as Thunderbird, you can keep it by opening the message and then forwarding it to yourself.
Download an attachment
- Click Options at the top
- Click Settings on the left
- Check the box next to Enable forwarding
- Enter each forwarding address that you want to use in the box below
- Enter as many addresses as you like
- Be sure to enter one address per line
Don't Leave Copy on Server -Option
This is an important point to consider because your GGSE email account has a quota, once this is reached senders will receive a bounce ( their msg will be returned to them) when they send to you. Even though the copy might arrive at the account you are forwarding to, the sender does not know this. This can create confusion. If you DO Not intend to login and also manage your GGSE account after setting a fwd you SHOULD check the box Don't leave copy on server.
|Important: If you do not configure forwarding correctly (i.e. you type your email address incorrectly), and you disable local delivery, you will have no way of knowing that you're missing emails. Confirm that you have entered your email address correctly before you disable local delivery.|
To disable local delivery, just check the Don't leave copy on server box under Mail Forwarding in Settings.